11.02.2006

"No" apparently doesn't mean "no."

Another disheartening article:

Court: Woman Can't Say No After Start Of Sex

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- An appellate court said Maryland's rape law is clear -- no doesn't mean no when it follows a yes and intercourse has begun.


Awesome. So if I get drunk beyond belief, say "yes" and pass out, apparently raping my unconscious body is totally groovy in Maryland. If I go out on a date, say yes and my otherwise charmer suitor turns into a raging asshole - I'm not implying these two things are connected in any way - I'm shit outta luck. If some other circumstance happens and the "yes" turns into a "no," I'm beat. If, say, I'm with an otherwise charming suitor who does something triggering or insists on doing something I'm not comfortable with, thereby changing my previous "yes" to a "no," I shoulda considered every weird circumstance beforehand.

Geeze. Why don't we silly women learn? Afterall, it's our faults if our skirt is too short, if we're wearing too much makeup, if we've been drinking, if our hair is too short, if we're wearing jeans, if we look too masculine, if we haven't experienced heterosexual sex, if we're prudes, if we're easy, if we're married, if we're in a relationship, if we're in a "bad part of town," if we're out by ourselves, if we're out late a night, if we go to a bar alone, if we go on a blind date alone, if we don't have a gun cocked at every man we encounter, regardless of our relationship to him and so on and so on and so on. Why shouldn't we prepare for every strange situation possible? If we want to keep ourselves out of these situations, apparently we need to keep ourselves locked at home, away from everyone in the world.

Oh, but then I'm sure we should have anticipated burglarizing rapists.

I have to wonder how much of this "protecting men from false rape charges" decision is meant to actually keep women from ever consenting to sex. How much of it is simply a fear of the dreaded female sexuality and how much of it is actually about men losing control over women?